Frequently Asked Questions about cheer/pom program
- My child doesn’t have any cheer/pom experience, tumbling skills, dance skills/training etc., can she/he still register?
- Yes, your child may participate. Our coaching staff will teach your child basic FUNdamental cheer/pom, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
- Will my child be taught tumbling skills while participating in BAYFA?
- No, however if your child can confidently and independently perform tumbling skills he/she may do so with parents consent.
- Do you hold tryouts?
- No, we do not hold tryouts. Everyone who registers, participates.
- How much does it cost to participate?
- We try to make it an affordable program for everyone. Early registration(3-1-17 to 4-30-17) fee for cheer/pom is $105.00 plus uniform. Regular registration (5-1-17 to 6-16-17) fee for cheer/pom is $140.00 plus uniform. Click on costs above to obtain a breakdown.
- I have heard from other parents that they were able to purchase a used uniform to help with the costs, how can I take advantage of that option?
- We are offering our Buy Back Program (BBP) this season. Buy Backs will be offered at the uniform fitting, and sold on a first come, first serve basis. This year we will only be accepting cash for the uniform pieces. Please come prepared for that if planning on purchasing a used uniform.
- How many times a week do the squads practice?
- The chart below outlines practice regulations that BAYFA has established for the 2015 season:
|Type of Team||1st PRACTICE DATE||WEEKLY LIMIT||TIME LIMIT||RESTRICTIONS||CHANGES|
|1st & 2nd Grades||Begin July 3rd||2 day maximum||1&1/2 hour maximum per day||No Wed or Sun||September 15th – change to 1 day per week maximum|
|3rd & 4th grades||Begin July 3rd||2 day Maximum||2 hours maximum per day||No Wed or Sun||If squad competes and additional day may be added after September 15th.|
|5th – 7th Grades||Begin July 3rd
|2 day maximum||2 hours maximum per day||No Wed or Sun||If squad competes two additional days may be added after September 15th|
- Who sets the practice schedule?
- The coach will determine the day of the week and time of the practice. Most practice times are generally in the evening: 5:30 or 6:00 start time. The Spirit director will determine the location of practices.
- How long is the season?
- The football season begins in August and ends the first to middle November.
- Who, when, and where do the participants cheer?
- The cheer/pom teams cheer at the tackle football games. All football games are on Saturday. The location and times vary and depend upon the schedule. The schedule won’t be available until mid August.
Cheerleader squads will travel with the team they cheer for. The locations of the games are determined by The INFC League and is not something that can be changed. Pom squads, will perform at home games only.
- My daughter/son cheered last year, will she/he return to the same team?
- Yes, unless you or the coach wish to place your child in the draft.
- How do I request that my daughter NOT be on a certain team, return to the draft, or be on a team with a family member or friend?
- These requests are made during the registration process in the special request box. Please note: a request can not be guaranteed. BAYFA will try to honor the request to the best of our ability.
- Will there be a fundraiser?
- Yes, there is a mandatory fundraiser. The following has been taken directly from the member’s rules that you agreed to during the registration process:
- You and your child are required to participate in one major fundraiser each year. The BAYFA Board of Directors will specify the fundraiser. Participation means that your son/daughter must sell a minimum of 10 fundraising cards @ a total cost of $10.00 each. You as parents/guardians are responsible for the merchandise and/or money. The merchandise and/or money must be picked up and returned at the designated time and place specified by the BAYFA Board of Directors. Failure to comply will result in your son/daughter not being allowed to participate in practices or games until such time that these requirements are met. Those of you who are strongly opposed to participating in the fundraiser may be granted an exemption by paying a fee of $100.00 per registrant.
Once you have registered your child, you may come by the office to pick up your fundraiser cards to begin selling them. After the mandatory (10) cards are sold, you may get additional cards to help pay for your cheer account. For each set (10) of cards, $60.00 will be applied toward your child’s account. Once the account has a $0 balance, no additional cards will be issued.